Job Title: Assembly Operator
Type: Hourly Union
FLSA: Non Exempt
Job Code: 14009A
Reports to: Production Supervisor
Under close supervision, responsible for any assembly operation requirements as needed or as directed. Position requires regular and recurrent attendance – minimum of 40 hours per week.
Operates assembly machines in order to produce a quality product.
- Operate assembly equipment according to procedures;
- Inspect each part for flaws and/or defects;
- If other operations or assembly is required to finish a part, then perform as needed;
- Package quality parts in appropriate packaging provided;
- Maintain an orderly and clean work area at all times;
- Complete all required paperwork;
- Performs minor repairs to equipment as needed.
Internal: Contacts requiring the obtaining or giving of information or service;
External: Minimal contact with customers as a regular part of duties that involve the non-controversial exchange of factual information.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent; Completion of SPC class instruction, which is offered post employment, in house.
Experience: Must be able to work and function in a team environment. Must be proficient in basic mathematics; able to read and comprehend simple instructions, correspondence and memos; able to understand and carry out verbal instructions; able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Manufacturing or related experience a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Must be able to visually inspect parts; specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust to focus;
- Must be able to frequently use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Must be able to reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel or crouch;
- Must have the ability to withstand constant repetitive wrist motion, prolonged standing, frequent bending, twisting, or stretching as often as every 8 to 30 seconds during an 8-hour shift;
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds;
- Must have regular and recurrent attendance – minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Must be available to work off shifts (afternoons and midnights).
Manual Dexterity: Work requiring moderate speed and accuracy in operating machines and retrieving parts.
Physical Effort: Work involving fairly light and simple types of physical exertion with average weight materials or equipment. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to vibration;
- Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles in a climate controlled environment;
- Works where the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Hazards: Possibility of accidents of a minor nature.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and requirements of personnel as classified.
Human Development Date
1 Assembly Operator
9/20/00; Rev. 3/20/02